Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organization for children’s aid. Through our health, protection and emergency aid programmes, we provide assistance to more than four million children and their families in some 40 countries each year. Terre des hommes (Tdh) opened its mission in Syria in 2021 and until 2022 we have started to establish its operations with a small team based in Damascus. Currently, we are looking for dynamic team members who will help us develop our mission and support operations in rural Damascus and other intervention areas.
General job description:
As a representative of Tdh, the administrator is responsible for organizing the financial and administrative activities of the base in Damascus and providing support for the project(s) implemented.
He/she supports and implements administrative procedures in compliance with Tdh’s mandate and commitments and international standards.
The incumbent will carry out his/her duties in accordance with the Terre des hommes Charter and Tdh’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
Terre des hommes expects its staff to behave in accordance with local culture and traditions. The holder ensures the moral protection of the Terre des hommes name and defends the interests of the organization in all circumstances.
Tdh operates without any political, religious or profit-making affiliation. The incumbent will conduct his activities and engagements without regard to political, racial or religious affiliation.
Internal control over financial and administrative matters
- Cash flow planning and cash payment processing for the Damascus office
- Prepare the monthly cash request to be sent to headquarters
- Preparation and entry of transactions in the corresponding cash or bank books in Excel, including coding and budget lines
- Management of open advances and customs clearance process
- Follow-up of contract payment deadlines
- Translate accounting documents when and if necessary
- Manage transfers between banks, safes and cash desks on site.
- Prepare monthly salary list for bank transfers
- Archive the accounting documents according to Tdh procedures after a final verification of receipts, etc.
- Prepare monthly closing, review and integrity of accounts for the base
- Participate in audits or any checks issued at the grassroots level
- Participate in the consolidation of budget monitoring and cash forecasts at the basic level
- Check cash balances daily and report any discrepancies to supervisor
- Ensure cash security and confidentiality of information
- Participate in the recruitment process
- Prepare contracts and JD
- Pay taxes and social insurance
- Submission of monthly cash books for approval by line manager
- Monthly reporting on the management of advances
- Monthly bank and cash reconciliation and ensure signature of relevant team members.
- Weekly bank reconciliation with the country representative
- Weekly cash count with country representative
Personal and team management
- Liaise regularly with program teams to ensure smooth operations and timely execution of funds transfers
- Liaise with and assist with other departments regarding coding and expense budget lines
- Provide professional advice to team members
- Welcome and participate in the administrative briefing of new staff
- Assist the financial director for the administrative management of recruitment and hiring
- Participate in the organization of training
Networking / External Coordination
- Liaison with relevant government departments to ensure compliance with regulations
- Liaise with consultants or other service providers to ensure information required by them is provided accurately and in a timely manner, such as but not limited to auditors, attorneys
- In general, take care to convey a positive and professional image of Tdh. In particular, to ensure that the mandate, thematic policies, ethics, values and points of view of Tdh are respected vis-à-vis third parties.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience in humanitarian projects
- Degree or bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, business management or similar
- Fluency in English, Arabic is essential
- Experience in opening new offices and setting up administrative procedures
- Knowledge of local labor laws Thorough understanding of banking and cash handling practices
- Management capacity and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong cross-cultural communication and resilience skills.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding of financial systems and procedures.
- Practical computer skills in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Calculate and analyze with attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and work under tight deadlines
- Team player, motivating staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and providing support and guidance where needed
How to register
Please send us your CV and motivation letter in English by email: [email protected]dh.ch with the reference: Tdh Admin Officer/Syria.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, July 31.