Boston School Reopening Plan – NBC Boston

0

Students return to school in Dorchester this week with increased security after the high school principal was attacked by a student.

Classes were canceled Thursday and Friday after the Dorchester High School principal was seriously injured in a violent attack that left the Boston public school community in shock. School officials launched a plan for the safe return of students and staff this week.

Patricia Lampron, director of Dr William Henderson K-12 School of Inclusion in Dorchester, had to be rushed to hospital on Wednesday after being assaulted by a student.

Lampron and another member of staff – who has not been identified – were attacked in a layoff Wednesday at Henderson Upper Campus, Boston Public Schools Superintendent Brenda Cassellius said.

Students return to class by class on Monday and Tuesday, officials said on Friday. Grades 2-6 students will be back on Monday, and grades 7-12 the following Tuesday.

The principal was hospitalized as a result of the attack and the 16-year-old student was arrested, school officials and police said.

Boston Public School’s new district security system includes crisis prevention training, more counselors, and additional staff upon arrival and termination. This does not include installing police inside the school, which some community members have called for, although city leaders are opposed.

Last week, a Boston police officer assigned to a security station outside the school found Lampron unconscious on the ground. A school security guard who helped restrain the student told police that Lampron had been “completely knocked out” for at least four minutes and that when she came to her senses she did not know where. she stood and cried uncontrollably.

Lampron was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital for treatment of serious but not life threatening injuries.

The report states that the same school security guard and other witnesses saw the principal being repeatedly punched in the head and face with a closed fist and having her hair pulled by the student. . The student, a minor, has not been publicly identified.

School officials have drawn up a new safety plan after Patricia Lampron was seriously injured last week in a violent attack.

The student admitted to hitting Lampron, according to the police report, and said she got angry because school staff kept following her and asked her to leave the area from school.

A 16-year-old girl was arrested at the scene of the attack on Wednesday and appeared in Dorchester Juvenile Court on Thursday for assault and battery on a person over the age of 60, assault and battery causing serious injuries and two counts of assault and battery on a public service employee.

A judge set the bond at $ 5,000 and, upon his release, ordered the student to remain in house arrest. She was told to stay away from the school and not to contact the victim, Suffolk County prosecutors said. She was represented by lawyer Brian Wiseman.

Boston principal Tricia Lampron is recovering and her school in Dorchester will remain closed for a second day after being attacked and seriously injured by a student.

Sources told NBC10 Boston that the student indicted in the attack was involved in another brawl last month and that since then a parent has made threats against the principal.

Asked about this Friday, Superintendent Cassellius said she could not speak to the details as part of an ongoing investigation. She also couldn’t discuss what happened in the incident or any potential discipline for the student – although the student is following the district code of conduct.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.