Police officer who uploaded sickening images of child abuse is spared jail after being sacked

0

A police officer who uploaded photos of sick child abuse of prepubescent girls was spared prison today.

Thomas Blant, who was a police officer, had four Category A images – the most serious – and 17 Category C images of girls aged 10 to 12 on a Leveno laptop and Samsung phone.

But a court heard that the police investigation was hampered by his use of software designed to “disguise and hide” the extent of his depraved viewing.

This included an Internet browser that guaranteed user anonymity and a “cleaner” application that deleted data.

All the images found were in areas inaccessible to the devices, indicating that they had been erased after being viewed, and appeared to be still images taken from video clips, the court was told.

child abuse of prepubescent girls was spared jail today” class=”blkBorder img-share” style=”max-width:100%” />

Former police officer Thomas Blant (pictured) who uploaded photos of sick child abuse of prepubescent girls was spared jail today

Over 100 “borderline” abuse images were also found, along with files with titles indicating an interest in child sexual abuse. However, their contents could not be recovered by the police.

Evidence also showed that some illegal search terms had been used as early as 2011.

The 38-year-old married man, a six-year-old Kent police officer based in Canterbury, was suspended from duty after his arrest by the National Crime Agency in January last year and ultimately fired in a disciplinary hearing in August.

The father of two, Blant, originally from Ashford, Kent, but now living in Southend, Essex, admitted to two offenses for taking indecent photographs of a child.

His crimes were committed while off duty and using his own personal devices.

Imposing a 12-month prison sentence suspended for two years, Judge Philip Statman said his use of very sophisticated software to “cover his tracks” was an aggravating feature.

Blant was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence by Judge Philip Statman at Maidstone Crown Court (pictured)

Blant was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence by Judge Philip Statman at Maidstone Crown Court (pictured)

But he added that although his crimes were committed at home and did not use police equipment, he said a police officer was “never on leave”.

“Of all the people, you, as a police officer on duty, knew the difference between what was right and what was wrong, and you made the decision that you made within the confines of your own home to breaking the criminal law, despite everything you had in your past as someone who was seen as a pillar of the community, a policeman who could be admired, ”Judge Statman told Blant.

“I’m absolutely sure you never thought you would be in a position where you would be caught. It was the protection you thought you had available to you after downloading the software.

“I’m also happy that you have a sexual predilection for girls and with each of the girls in these pictures I see a victim, a child victim, effectively under the control of a much older person.”

In deciding to impose a conditional sentence, Judge Statman noted that this was not a “letting go” and said he took the time to bring him to justice, to bring him to justice. best way to protect the community and the help Blant had asked for since his arrest through counseling and a child welfare charity, the Lucy Faithfull Foundation.

Prosecutor Tim Probert-Wood told Maidstone Crown Court in Kent that the NCA had received reports that a dark web child sexual abuse website had been accessed from the address of the Blant’s home on March 16, 2019.

A search warrant was executed on January 19 last year while he and his wife were at home. He said he knew nothing about the allegation, but admitted that he had already downloaded the TOR browser.

He also refused to give out the PIN for his phone and laptop until he received legal advice, and later gave three “no comment” interviews.

As part of his sentence, Blant is required to complete 40 sessions of rehab, join the sex offender registry for 10 years, and be subject to a Sexual Injury Prevention Order regarding his internet use for five years.

As part of his sentence, Blant is required to complete 40 sessions of rehab, join the sex offender registry for 10 years, and be subject to a Sexual Injury Prevention Order regarding his internet use for five years.

His wife, however, was able to confirm that she was at work the day the abuse website was accessed, while Blant’s worksheets showed he was off duty.

The court heard that delays in forensic analysis of his six seized devices meant he was not charged until March of this year and pleaded guilty to magistrates in July.

Testimonies were provided by his wife, who was not at court, and his brother.

Defending Kerry Waitt also recounted how Blant had attempted suicide since his arrest and said he had already “been punished in a number of ways”.

“He had to endure the pain and embarrassment of telling his wife and family about his predilection for online pornography and its nature,” he said.

“He had to undergo disciplinary procedures at work, resulting in his dismissal, with loss of status and esteem, and humiliation within the community.

“He lost his career, his job, and many of his friends and associates just melted away.”

As part of his sentence, Blant is required to complete 40 sessions of rehab, join the sex offender registry for 10 years, and be subject to a Sexual Injury Prevention Order regarding his internet use for five years.

It has also been banned indefinitely from working with children and vulnerable adults.

Following Blant’s conviction, Martin Ludlow of the National Crime Agency said: “Blant’s offense is a scandalous breach of trust.

“His role as a police officer was to protect the public. Instead, he researched child abuse images for his own sexual satisfaction. Offenders who view such content online only encourage those who are willing to sexually abuse children in the real world.

“The fight against this threat remains one of the ANC’s highest priorities. We are committed to targeting the most dangerous offenders and those like Blant who go to great lengths to hide their activity, believing they can operate with impunity online.

“As this survey shows, there is nowhere to hide. We will use all the tools at our disposal to identify those who pose a sexual threat to children and ensure that they are brought to justice. ‘

Detective Chief Superintendent Jon Armory, Kent Police Professional Standards Officer, said: “It is abhorrent that Blant committed these offenses, especially when he was working as a police officer.

“His actions have helped fuel demand for the exploitation of children, which constitutes a total betrayal of his duty to protect vulnerable people.

“Blant was suspended from our forces as soon as the allegations were first received and we fully supported our colleagues at the National Crime Agency in their criminal investigation. As soon as he admitted the facts to court, we moved forward with a special procedure which led to his dismissal on August 17.

“The vast majority of our officers and staff do exceptional work serving the public in accordance with the highest standards of professionalism and conduct, and we expect no less from them. Those who fail will come under scrutiny.


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.